- If you registered your caring or significant relationship in Tasmania and it has broken down, you can formally cancel the registration with Births, Deaths and Marriages.
- You do not need to formally cancel your relationship if your partner gets married or dies.
- It takes about 90 days after application for the relationship to be cancelled.
About applying to revoke a deed of relationship
If you want to apply to cancel a caring or significant relationship, you need to complete an application with Births, Deaths and Marriages.
Both parties need to sign the form. If you are unable to get the other party to sign, you must provide evidence that you have tried to obtain their signature. This needs to be a registered delivery receipt, proving that you sent them a copy of the form.
If your relationship is registered interstate or overseas, please visit Births, Deaths and Marriages for information on other Australian and overseas registries.
How to apply
|firstname.lastname@example.org||By appointment at the Births, Deaths and Marriages office on 1300 135 513||Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages|
30 Gordons Hill Road
ROSNY PARK TAS 7018
What you need to apply
You need the following for the application form (PDF, 470KB):
- personal details and signatures of both people
- proof of identity documents for both people
- payment for the fee.
Can I apply?
To apply to cancel or revoke a deed of relationship, the 2 people in the relationship must be the applicants.
If only one party is applying to revoke a deed of relationship, the applicant must prove they tried to obtain the other party's signature.
Proving your identity
There are 2 ways you can prove your identity:
- show your original identity documents at the Births, Deaths and Marriages office, or
- send certified copies of your identity documents by post or email.
You must provide one of these combinations of current documents:
- One document from category 1, 2 and 3
- Two documents from category 2 and one from category 1 or 3
- Two documents from category 3 and one from category 1 or 2.
At least one document must show your current address.
- An Australian birth certificate
- Citizenship certificate
- New Zealand citizenship certificate together with passport
- New Zealand birth certificate.
- Australian driver licence
- Australian passport
- Firearms licence
- Foreign passport
- Proof of age card
- Working with vulnerable people card.
- Medicare card
- Australian marriage certificate (issued from Births Deaths and Marriages office)
- Centrelink or Department of Veteran Affairs card
- Security or crowd control licence
- Tertiary education institution ID card
- Credit card or bank statement
- Recent utility account with current residential address (issued within last 3 months)
- Lease or rent agreement with current address
- Australian Taxation Office assessment with current address.
If you have changed your name, please provide proof (from the list below) of each name change. This is so we can link your current name to the name recorded on the birth record.
Please provide one of these documents:
- name change certificate(s) issued by Births Deaths and Marriages
- marriage certificate(s) issued by Births Deaths and Marriages
- divorce paper issued by court (showing previous name)
- statutory declaration (if changed by common usage)
- relationship certificate issued by Births Deaths and Marriages.
How much it costs
|Type of registration||Description||Cost|
Deed of relationship registration
Application to register a deed of relationship. This does not include a certificate.
Revoke a deed of relationship
Application for the cancellation of a deed of relationship. This does not include a certificate.
Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.
- You do not get a certificate when a deed of relationship has been revoked, but you can order one at any time.
Please visit Births, Deaths and Marriages for more information on applying to revoke a deed of relationship.