|Applying online takes about 15 minutes.|
- Your relationship must be registered with Births, Deaths and Marriages before you can get a certificate.
- A relationship certificate application usually takes about 2 weeks.
- There is a priority service online and at some service centres.
- A relationship certificate is also known as a deed of relationship.
|Get started||Births, Deaths and Marriages||Please visit Births, Deaths and Marriages to apply for a relationship certificate|
About applying for a relationship certificate
There are different types of relationship certificates you can apply for through Births, Deaths and Marriages:
- a standard relationship certificate - an official certificate containing the details of a caring or significant relationship
- a revocation of a deed of relationship certificate - a certificate that confirms the registration of either a significant or caring relationship has been cancelled. An additional postage fee applies for registered postage of this certificate
- decorative relationship certificates - are available but cannot be used for official purposes. Express postage is not available for this certificate.
How to apply
|Births, Deaths and Marriages||Find your nearest Service Centre||Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages|
30 Gordons Hill Road
ROSNY PARK TAS 7018
A priority service is available online and at some service centres.
Approved applications can be issued the same day by registered or express post.
If you lodge a priority application at one of the following service centres, it can be printed onsite, ready for you to collect.
Certificates can be printed on-site within 2 hours once the application is submitted.
You must collect your certificate with your identification and receipt.
What you need to apply
You must have the following:
- the type of certificate you want
- the reason a certificate is required
- personal and contact information
- proof of identity documents
- payment for the fee.
If you are applying by post or at a service centre, you must complete a relationship certificate application (PDF, 594KB).
Can I apply?
The relationship must be registered in Tasmania.
You can apply for your own relationship certificate. Other people who can apply are:
- a child of the couple
- an executor of their estate, administrator or trustee - proof of authority must be provided
- someone with written authority or power of attorney - proof of authority (PDF, 416KB) must be provided.
If you are not one of the people in the registered relationship, Births, Deaths and Marriages may require further documentation.
Proving your identity
There are 3 ways you can prove your identity:
- online (documents marked with an asterisk (*) can be verified by our online document verification service)
- by showing your original identity documents at a service centre
- by sending certified copies of your identity documents by post.
You must provide one of these combinations of current documents:
- One document from category 1, 2 and 3
- Two documents from category 2 and one from category 1 or 3
- Two documents from category 3 and one from category 1 or 2.
At least one document must show your current address.
- *An Australian birth certificate
- *Citizenship certificate
- New Zealand citizenship certificate together with passport
- New Zealand birth certificate.
- *Australian driver licence
- *Australian passport
- Firearms licence
- Foreign passport
- Proof of age card.
- *Medicare card
- *Australian marriage certificate (issued from Births Deaths and Marriages office)
- Centrelink or Department of Veteran Affairs card
- Security/crowd control licence
- Tertiary education institution ID card
- Credit card/bank statement
- Recent utility account with current residential address (issued within last 3 months)
- Lease or rent agreement with current address
- Australian Taxation Office assessment with current address.
If you have changed your name please provide proof from the list below of each name change. This is so we can link your current name to the name recorded on the birth record.
- Adoption paper issued by court
- Divorce paper issued by court, indicating the name being reverted to
- Change of name registration from Australia or overseas issuing authority
- Guardianship order
- Relationship certificate (not required if registered in Tasmania)
- Marriage certificate from Australia or overseas issuing authority (not required if registered in Tasmania).
- If you submit a printed online bank, superannuation or utility statement, they must be:
- on official company letterhead, or
- stamped and approved by the bank, superannuation or utility company.
- Financial statements, utility accounts, rates notices or superannuation fund statements must have been issued with the last 12 months.
- If you live overseas, you can provide overseas' equivalents to Australian identity documents, such as a foreign driver licence.
- Documents that are not written in English must be accompanied by a translation from a national accredited translation authority.
How much it costs
|Type of certificate||Description||Cost|
Fee for an official birth, death, marriage, change of name or relationship certificate.
Priority Service (posted)
This service ensures that an approved and completed application is processed and issued within 24 hours.
Priority Service (same day collection)
This service ensures that an approved and completed application is processed within two hours (in service centre opening hours). This service is only available at the Hobart, Sorell, Launceston, Devonport, Burnie, Scottsdale and Huonville service centres.
Decorative birth certificate
You cannot use a decorative certificate for official purposes, such as proof of identity.
Standard birth and decorative package
A standard birth certificate and a decorative birth certificate.
A standard certificate application includes a 5 year search. There is an extra fee ($18.70) for every additional 5 years searched.
Medical certificate of cause of death (post 1970 deaths only)
A certified copy of the original medical certificate showing cause of death only.
There are additional costs that apply for certificate postage.
Express Post (within Australia)
International Registered Postage
International Standard Air Mail
Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.
Please note: Personal cheques are not accepted for the priority service
- Anyone can access a relationship record more than 75 years old.
Please visit Births, Deaths and Marriages for more information on applying for a relationship certificate.