- An exploration licence gives you exclusive rights to explore for specific minerals within the specified licence area.
- You must be 18 or over to apply.
- Licences are granted for 5 years.
About applying for an exploration licence
Exploration licences can be granted for the following mineral categories:
- Category 1 - metallic minerals and atomic substances
- Category 2 - coal, peat, lignite, oil shale and coal seam gas
- Category 3 - rock, stone, gravel, sand, and clay used in construction, bricks and ceramics
- Category 4 - petroleum products except oil shale
- Category 5 - industrial minerals, precious stones, semi-precious stones
- Category 6 - any geothermal substance.
How to apply
If you are applying by email or post, you must call (03) 6165 4800 first to pay the fee.
|Find your nearest Service Centreemail@example.com||PO Box 672|
Burnie, TAS 7320
You can also apply in-person at the MRT Burnie or Hobart Office.
What you need to apply
- submit a completed application form (PDF, 292KB)
- provide supporting documents
- provide proof of identity
- pay the licence fee.
Please see Mineral Resources Tasmania for a full list of the documents needed to support the application.
Can I apply?
You must be 18 or over.
Proving your identity
For individuals you must provide a photocopy of your:
- driver licence, or
For a company you must provide a photocopy of:
- a certificate of incorporation, or
- an Australian Companies Number (ACN) and list of directors or office holders.
How much it costs
Mining lease renewal
Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.
|Service Centre or MRT offices|
Please visit Mineral Resources Tasmania for more information on applying for an exploration licence.