tas.gov.au - external site
health.tas.gov.au/coronavirus - external site

Key info

  • Short-term vehicle permits allow you to drive an unregistered vehicle on public roads for a short, specified period of time.
  • Unregistered permits are required for motor vehicles, caravans and trailers.
  • Permits can only be used to relocate a vehicle, to move it to an event, or for repairs.
  • When you apply you must declare that the vehicle is in a safe, roadworthy condition to be driven on public roads.
    Find a Service Centrebutton_linkApply for a short-term unregistered vehicle permit at your nearest Service Tasmania service centreTasmanian Government - Department of State Growth Logo

    About applying for a short-term unregistered permit

    Approved reasons for a permit to drive an unregistered car for a short, specified period of time include:

    • moving a vehicle from one place to another
    • transporting a vehicle for repairs
    • transporting a vehicle to an event.

    Permits can only be issued for the smallest amount of time (days) needed for the journey or event within a 28-day period. The journey must be the most direct route.

    Towing or Carrying a load:

    • A motor vehicle or trailer cannot carry a load (with the exception of a trailer designed to carry a specific load e.g. boat trailer can carry a boat, horse trailer can carry a horse, car trailer can carry a car for relocation)
    • A motor vehicle can tow a registered trailer which is or isn't carrying a load, if the permit is issued for the purpose of relocation
    • You must have an Unregistered Vehicle Permit to tow an unregistered vehicle unless it is being towed by a registered tow truck.

    How to apply

    What you need to apply

    If you are in Tasmania, you must visit a service centre and:

    • provide a completed application form (PDF, 503KB)
    • provide your current Tasmanian licence or proof of identity documents
    • pay the fee.

    If you are outside of Tasmania, you must email Transport Services:

    Can I apply?

    You can apply for a permit if the vehicle is in a safe, roadworthy condition and the purpose meets the approved reasons above.

    Permits will not be issued if the vehicle:

    • has suspended registration
    • is written off
    • is modified without approved documents
    • is used in a event for which the vehicle operator will be paid
    • is going for general repairs not needed for registration
    • is used for commercial purposes.

    Proving your identity

    To prove your identity you must show at least:

    • One category A document and 2 category B documents, or
    • Two category A documents and one category B document.

    These documents must:

    • show your current Tasmanian address
    • be the originals (not photocopies or certified copies)
    • be in English or provided with an English translation from an accredited translator.

    • Australian birth certificate (not an extract or commemorative certificate)
    • Australian citizenship papers
    • Australian passport (can be expired up to 2 years)
    • Overseas passport or visa (can be expired up to 2 years if accompanied by a current Australian visa)
    • Australian photo driver licence (can be expired up to 2 years)
    • Australian firearms licence
    • Tasmanian Government personal information card (showing your full name)
    • Department of Home Affairs travel documents or Australian Government issued Immicard
    • Department of Home Affairs certificate of evidence of resident status.

    • Medicare card
    • Bank or credit card, with signature
    • Student identity card with photo, issued by an Australian educational institution
    • Department of Veterans' Affairs or Centrelink - pensioner concession or other current entitlement card issued by the Australian Government
    • Births, Deaths and Marriages change of name/marriage certificate (not a church or celebrant document) or deed poll
    • High risk work licence issued by WorkSafe Tasmania
    • Government issued working with vulnerable people or children card.

    If you have changed your address or name

    If your name or address is incorrect on your licence or any documents you use to prove your identity, you must show proof of:

    • your address, and/or
    • change of name documents.

    To show proof of change of address you must provide one of the following documents:

    • financial institution statement
    • lease or rent agreement
    • council rate notice
    • utility account (electricity, water, sewerage, telephone, gas)
    • land tax valuation notice
    • Australian Taxation Office assessment (current or last financial year)
    • certificate of title.

    To show proof of change of name you must provide one of the following documents:

    • adoption paper issued by court
    • divorce paper issued by court, showing your original name
    • change of name registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages or deed poll
    • guardianship order
    • marriage certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (not a church or celebrant issued document).

    Body corporate (a company or an incorporated association)

    At least one of the documents from the section below must be provided. Additional documents may also be required to prove the current:

    • residential address
    • garage address
    • change of name of the body corporate.

    • Certificate of registration with an Australian Company Number (ACN)
    • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
    • Extract of company with ACN
    • Certificate of registration of foreign company with Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN)
    • Certificate of incorporation
    • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which it was established.

    • Certificate of registration of change of name with an ACN
    • Written authorisation on letterhead by the issuing authority, stating the Act under which established.

    If you cannot provide the required identity documents, please contact us on 1300 135 513.

    How much it costs

    Assessment TypeCost

    Motor vehicles, caravans, and trailers with an unladen mass of over 500kg


    Trailers with an unladen mass less than 500kg


    Fees and charges last updated 1 July, 2022.

    Payment options

    EmailVisa LogoMasterCard Logo 
    Service CentreCash IconCheque IconMoney Order IconDebit and EFTPOS IconVisa LogoMasterCard Logo

    More Information

    • If you need to change any details or cancel your permit, you must take your permit to a service centre before the start date.

    Please visit Transport Services for more information on applying for a short-term unregistered vehicle permit.